Community homes project approved for second time

Wednesday, 27 August 2025 18:01

By Martyn Smith, Local Democracy Reporter X @

© LDRS/Google

A housing development backed by a community project in Stourbridge has been given the go-ahead by council planners.

A shabby vacant building on Enville Street is to be demolished to make way for 11 new apartments which will be available for affordable rents. The group behind the project, Stourbridge PowerHaus, aim to create a car-free development with the environment in mind.

A statement on the Stourbridge PowerHaus website said: “This car free development in partnership with Green Square Accord Housing is built to the highest environmental standards, incorporates a shared workspace for increased home working, a roof garden, solar panels, electric bike scheme and dedicated recycling area.

“These 11 affordable flats will provide greater affordability of rent and energy leading to the retention of creatives as well as key workers in the town.

“Greater affordability of rent and energy will lead to more disposable income spent within the local economy while higher environmental standards of building and renewable energy allied to increased home working will lead to less commuter miles and an increase in air quality, all of which will help to combat the challenges of climate change.”

The plan had previously been approved in 2021 but work never got started and a new application was required after three years. In a report on the proposal, Dudley Council planning officers said: “The revised proposal is acceptable in principle, bringing back into use currently underused previously developed land, to provide new housing, in the public interest, in an appropriate and sustainable location.

“The development is acceptable in design terms and is considered acceptable in terms of parking and highway safety, ecology and Biodiversity upgrades.”

The site is close to a number of historically significant buildings including Alexandra House and a Quaker meeting hall which dates back to the late 1600s. A statement from the applicants supporting the plan said: “The proposals will see an area of unsightly wasteland near to a heritage asset being brought back into use in a manner in keeping with the cultural heritage of the local community.

“Indeed if the situation prior to clearance of industrial buildings is considered the proposals represent an enhancement of the setting of the nearby heritage assets.” 

Comments

Add a comment

Rating *
On Air Now The Weekend Zone with Phil Jones Hammersley 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Now Playing
Shine On The House Of Love Download
Recently Played

Weather

Travel News

How To Listen

Download Our Apps

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Podcasts